WIDECRAFT “Jamming & Offwidth Inspiration”
Skills workshops & Personal guiding in Cornwall, Peak district & Europe
Wide cracks are my passion, for me cracks offer some of the most stunning & inspirational challenges in climbing... My personal journey started 30 years ago when I cut my teeth on the gritstone Jam cracks of the peak in Derbyshire UK, since then the drive to climb jamming & wide/offwidth cracks has taken me all over the world repeating & establishing new routes up to E5 / 5.12.
Widecraft skills workshops & personal guiding aim to pass on that knowledge & experience & share the love of wide cracks, whether you want to learn or fine tune your own skills to chase your own challenges or taste the best there is in the Peak, Cornwall or Europe with us offering personal guiding.
Jamming & in particular Offwidth cracks are often avoided & despised, mainly due to the physical nature of the style along with the quirky hard won skills & techniques needed for success. The fundamentals of wide crack climbing lies in the understanding & use of 3 dimensional techniques, its all about opposing forces & being in tune with your own internal body language combined with specific techniques which are often not intuitive & are little used in any other form of climbing.
The art of hand & foot jamming is the baseline from which all improvement is made, so our aim is to give you a solid foundation in jamming technique & build from there adding in tips tactics & techniques as we go.
The main thing is to have fun & learn! You will open up a whole new world in your climbing & you will never look at cracks the same again!
For Widecraft workshops or Guiding please contact me to discuss your needs & goals!
WIDECRAFT Skills workshop weekends
What: Jamming & or Offwidth crack climbing course based over 2 days, building tips tactics & techniques for skills improvement...Wide cracks can vary from hand jam size through to squeeze chimneys so we will touch on all of these techniques over the 2 day so you have tactics for all sizes.
When: Weekends or weekdays (Based over 2 days) Arranged around your dates throughout the year.
Where: Cornwall & Peak district.
Who: Based on 2 or 4 climbers max (NOTE: Due to the strenuous nature of the style, to get the best from the workshop weekend you should be capable of climbing at HVS as a 2nd)
Cost: 4 climbers: £140 per person....2 Climbers £200 per person.
Workshop will cover:
- Personal protection & associated problems issues & alternatives
- Knee & Elbow pads
- Jam gloves/ankle pro
- Taping up
CLIMBING TECHNIQUE: Covering both Traditional offwidth & Levittation.Hands:
- Hand jamming (tight to wide) & cross over into fist.
- Foot jam technique for above
- Fist jamming
- Foot jam technique for above
- Hand/hand stacks (Butterfly Jam)
- Hand/fist stacks
- Fist/fist stacks
- T stacks
- V stacks
- Hip/knee/foot bar/lock
- Groin/knee/foot bar/lock
- Heel to lock/hooks
- Chicken wing
- Arm bar & gaston
- Double chicken wing
- Knee bars/lock
- Double knees
- Stacks & knee locks
- Squeeze chimneys:
- Knees/Arms/Back/Butt & shoulders
- Scoping the route
- Left or right side in?
- Breaking it down & tactics
- Setting up for the lead (Gear)
- Big cams: Dmm, Wild country, BD, Valley giants, Merlin, differences & benefits of each.
- Bigbros: Extendable tubes, benefits, pitfalls & associated problems with each
- Rope, single or double? (Tag lines)
- Quickdraws/extenders, long or short? Benefits/pitfalls rope jam (Body or knees)
- Bumping cams
- Placing Bigbros
- Leap frogging
Over the 2 days we will be both top roping to improve techniques & for those feel solid leading, please contact me regarding a kit list to bring with you.
PERSONAL CRACK GUIDING: UK
- Crack climbing, a guided tour of the best Jamming/wide or Offwidth cracks.
- Days/weekends...See home page for guiding prices
- Cornwall (Lands end Granite)
- Peak gritstone. Classic cracks on classic crags including Roaches/Hen cloud/Curbar etc
PERSONAL CRACK GUIDING: EUROPE
- Long weekend & week long trips to the following areas...see Europe page for details & contact me to discuss your dates & cost.
- SPAIN: La Pedriza.
- FRANCE: Annot.
- GERMANY: Elbesandstein & Ettringen.
Follow WIDECRAFT “Offwidth inspiration” on fb for info, products, workshops, photos & route info & up & coming trips.
Bridge Cottage, Diddies Lane, Stratton, Bude, Cornwall. EX23 9NF
Mobile 07896 622 754
Landline 01288 682 445